Search Follow us on Facebook

Billing Terms

If you ever have questions or need assistance with your bill, please call us before the bill becomes past due. We are here to help!


A statement of our current rates is usually posted on the internet and/or available in hard copy. You are free to come by one of our local offices or receive a statement by mail. All rates are subject to change under order of the PSC and are subject to the following adjustments:

Power Cost Adjustment: If the cooperative's wholesale power costs increase or decrease from that filed with the PSC in our rate schedule, the same increase or decrease will be reflected in an adjustment on your electric bill. The adjustment factor per kWh and the resulting dollar charge or credit will be shown on the stub of your bill. The dollar amount is determined by multiplying the adjustment factor times the kWhs used.

Tax Adjustment: If a new or revised excise, license, privilege, or franchise tax (except ad valorem and income taxes) is imposed on the cooperative, the bills of those members who have service in the jurisdiction of the taxing bodies will reflect the same increase or decrease as that of the tax. The amount of the tax will be listed on the bill.

Cost of Debt Adjustment: If the cooperative's cost of long term debt increases or decreases, an adjustment will be made in the cooperative's billing. Any changes in the long term interest rate for borrowed monies will be reflected on the billing statement.


A typical billing cycle begins around the 28th of the month and ends around the 27th of the following month. The number of days in a billing cycle will vary. Each mailed billing statement reflects the previous billing cycle. For example, electricity used between January 28th and February 27th will be reflected in the March billing statement. Bills are mailed the first day of the month, or as close to the first as possible. All billing statements will contain the following information:

  • Member's Name
  • Period Covered by the Bill
  • Current and Previous Meter Reading
  • Number of kWhs used
  • Charges for electricity, all taxes, charges for non-utility merchandise or services purchased through the utility.
  • Any Previous Balance Due
  • Date Bill Was Mailed
  • Total Amount of Bill
  • Due Date of Bill
  • Rate Code Applicable to the Bill
  • Charges for any Adjustments
  • Name, Address, and Phone Number of the Cooperative

Extension/Payment Arrangement

You may make a short term extension if you are unable to pay your bill by the due date of the 14th of the month. You will qualify for this option if you are not more than one month, 30 days past due. Extensions must be made by the “last day to pay” or “make arrangements” as printed on the most recent shut-off notice.


Our bills are figured by computer, which operates on information fed into it. If after figuring your bill according to the rate schedule you feel a mistake has been made, please contact us and we will re-figure the bill for you and explain the procedure used. If the bill was actually incorrect, we will make an adjustment on your bill before payment is made. If an overpayment has already been made, we will credit your next bill with the amount of overpayment.


The dial on your meter measures the kWhs used and reads exactly like the odometer on your car which measures the number of miles traveled. Read your meter from left to right. In order to determine how many kWhs you have used, simply read your meter and subtract the previous reading from the reading taken. The answer will give you the number of kWh used from one reading to the next.

If we do not receive your payment within eight days of the Shut-Off Notice, usually around the 25th, or if you have not made arrangements for delayed payment, your service is subject to be disconnected under the regulations of the APSC.


Memberships: Each company, firm or individual who receives service from Petit Jean Electric must pay a $20.00 membership fee prior to connection of service. This membership fee will be held by the cooperative as long as service is continued and is refundable by application to the final bill when all services are terminated by the company, firm, or individual.

Service Deposits: Each company, firm or individual who receives service from Petit Jean Electric may be required to pay a service deposit to insure settlement of each account. The amount of the service deposit shall not exceed the total of a two month's average bill. New residential accounts must pay the class average amount of $200.00. The cooperative will explain the reason for any deposit and that the deposit may be paid in two installments with the first half paid at request for service and the second half with the first bill. The deposit will accrue interest as approved by the PSC and will be refunded plus interest as a credit on your account after a one-year period of good payment record by the consumer. Additional deposits, equal to the two highest bills during the past twelve months, may be required if an account is disconnected for non-payment. You will not have to pay a deposit if evidence is presented of good payment record with any electric utility.


Disconnect by Member Request: If you wish to have a service disconnected, you need to give Petit Jean Electric a five-day notice. Normally, we will disconnect a service the same day or the following day it is requested. However, you remain responsible for electricity used at the service until it is disconnected or 5 days after the request, whichever comes first. You may request a disconnect by letter, phone or in person.

Other Reasons For Disconnects: The cooperative may disconnect service after proper notification for any of the following reasons:

  • Failure to pay a delinquent bill
  • Failure to comply with any payment agreements
  • Failure to post a deposit
  • Misrepresentation of your identity or facts to obtain service
  • Unauthorized or fraudulent use of service
  • Refusal to grant access to cooperative property
  • Violation of service rules
  • Violation of laws through use of service
  • Abandonment of premises served
  • Injury or threats to employees, their families, or cooperative property

Disconnect Notice: Before service is disconnected, we will first try to eliminate the reason for disconnection. We will give you at least a 5-day written notice (8 days if mailed) of the reasons for disconnection. This notice may be delivered to you personally, left in a conspicuous place on your premises, or mailed. If collection of a delinquent account is made at the location of the service, a $40.00 collection fee will be charged.

Time of Disconnects: (Other than by member request)

  • Date specified on notice between 8:00 a.m. and 3:30 p.m., except weekends, holidays and the day prior to them.
  • Cannot disconnect when temperature is forecast to be 32 degrees or below.
  • You may pay your delinquent bill any time prior to actual disconnection.


  • If disconnect was by member request, reconnect is handled the same as a first time service.
  • Otherwise, reconnects will be made when reasons for disconnection have been eliminated.
  • Reconnect will be given precedence if cooperative was at fault. If the member was at fault, reconnects shall be made during normal course of the work load.
  • Cooperative may refuse to reconnect unless ordered by the PSC if disconnect was for unlawful or fraudulent reasons.
  • Cooperative may require reasonable payment for estimated service in case of fraudulent use.
  • A reconnect fee of $40.00 ($100.00 after hours) will be charged if disconnect was fault of the member.
  • A returned check fee of $25.00 will be charged if a check is returned for any reason other than bank error.


The following options are available to customers to avoid suspension of service during extended absences.

Different Address: If you plan to be gone more than one month, it would be advisable to leave with us an address where we can send your bill. This way you will continue to receive a bill while you are away.

Pre-Payments: If you plan to be away just one month, or if you cannot be reached at a different address, you may make a pre-payment. In this case, we will estimate the amount of your bill, based on previous billings, and let you pay in advance for the number of months you plan to be away.

Automatic Bill Payment Plan: You may enroll in our Automatic Bill Payment Plan whereby the bill will be paid by bank draft through your checking or savings account.


If you feel there may be circumstances under which a consenting third party may be able to prevent disconnection of service, we will send the third party a copy of all "Shut-Off Notices." If you wish a third party to be notified, you will need to present the cooperative with the name and address of the third party along with a signed statement by the first party authorizing us to send them a notice.


You may make delayed payments under the following procedures. You must make arrangements for delayed payment by the last day to pay printed on the Shut-Off Notice.

Initial Partial Payment: Up to one-fourth of the delinquent amount must be paid by the close of business within three business days of the date the agreement is made.

Written Agreement for Balance: You must sign a written agreement to pay the balance of the bill in regular installments. You may have up to three months to pay the balance.

Written Agreement for Future Bills: You must also sign a written agreement to pay all future bills in full as they come due during the period of agreement for partial payments.

Consequences: If you fail to meet the conditions of the agreement, your service may be terminated without further notice. You may also be refused future delayed payment agreements for a period of twelve months.


You may apply to have your due date extended if your income is from Aid to Families with Dependent Children (AFDC), Aid to the Aged, Blind and Disabled (AABD), Supplemental Security Income (SSI), Social Security or Veterans Administration disability or retirement benefits. You may also enter into an extension agreement to delay the payment of your current bill for up to 30 days.


Any residential customer may request to be placed on Levelized Billing. Under this plan, the amount of the current bill will be based on the average amount actually owed during the most recent twelve months, plus or minus one-twelfth of the balance owed or credited. If a twelve-month billing history is not available, the amount of your initial payment will be estimated based on average bills of the same class and type of service.


If you receive a "Shut-Off Notice" from the cooperative, we will postpone termination of service, or reconnect previously terminated service, for up to 30 days if it is likely that termination of service will aggravate a serious illness, pose risk of death or impair the health of anyone living in the household where service is located. Petit Jean Electric may require certification of the illness.

ELDERLY AND the disabled

Qualifying elderly and/or disabled members will be given special attention and consideration in regard to their electric service. "Elderly" is a person who is a residential consumer age 65 or older. "Disabled" is a person who is a residential consumer who has a permanent severe physical or mental impairment which substantially limits the ability to pay electric bills and who is certified as being physically or mentally disabled by a physician or other qualified person, agency or organization.


Certain landlords/tenants will receive special consideration regarding the delinquent shut-off of electric service. "Landlord" here means the owner, agent, manager, or lessor of the premises in regard to which he receives rent or lease payments which include amounts for payment of electric service. A "tenant" is a person occupying these premises. If you qualify as elderly/disabled or landlord/tenant, please contact the cooperative for full details of these special considerations.


Petit Jean Electric Cooperative is the recipient of federal financial assistance from Rural Utilities Services (RUS), an agency of the U.S. Department of Agriculture, and is subject to the provisions of Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, as amended, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, as amended, the Age discrimination Act of 1973, as amended, and the rules and regulations of the U.S. Department of Agriculture which provide that no person in the United States on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, or disability shall be excluded from participation in, admission or access to, denied the benefits of, or otherwise be subjected to discrimination under any of the organization's programs or activities. Any individual, or specific class of individuals, who feels that this organization has subjected them to discrimination may obtain further information about the statutes and regulations listed above from and/or file a written complaint with this organization; or the Secretary, U.S. Department of Agriculture, Washington, D.C. 20250; or the Administrator, Rural Utilities Services, Washington, D.C. 20250. Complaints must be filed within 180 days after the alleged discrimination. Confidentiality will be maintained to the extent possible.